This is a fall family favorite! After a trip to pick apples at the apple orchard, this is one of the first dishes I make. I love that the filling batter makes its own crust!
- 4 medium tart baking apples, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 c. gluten free baking flour mix (GF Bisquik in a pinch)
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. sweet coconut milk or vanilla rice milk
- 2 tbsp dairy free buttery spread, melted (I use Earth Balance)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c gluten free baking flour mix (or GF Bsquik in a pinch)
- 1/2 c chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/4 c packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp firm dairy free buttery spread (such as Earth Balance)
- Heat oven to 350˚F. Butter (with dairy free buttery spread) 9" pie dish.
- In a medium bowl, toss apples, cinnamon and nutmeg then pour into pie dish.
- In the same medium bowl, stir remaining filling ingredients until blended and pour over the apple mixture in the dish.
- In the same bowl, mix all streusel ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Sprinkle top of streusel with shaker of cinnamon.
- Bake 45-50 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Serve hot. Store in refrigerator.