Gluten Free Dairy Free Scones
1 3/4 cups Multi-purpose Gluten free baking flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup dairy free margarine (I use Smart Balance or Earth Balance)
1 cup frozen blue berries (or dried berries, apricots or raisins)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup cold rice milk, vanilla flavored
1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract (I use Kirkland's from Costco)
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease or line pan with parchment
2) Whisk together the flour blend, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and nutmeg.
3) Work in the cold margarine with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.
4) stir in the dried fruit (if using frozen blueberries, hold off until just before dropping onto the pan)
5) Whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla until frothy.
6) Add to the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. The dough will be sticky.
7) Drop dough by the 1/3-cupful onto the pan. Let the scones rest for 15 minutes.
8) Sprinkle the scones with sparkling sugar or cinnamon sugar, if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. Best enjoyed warm with dairy free margarine or jam.
Yield: 8 scones